3 Ways On How to Make Beets Salad (They’re Easy!)
Benefits of Eating Beets
Beets — they are just oh so important! Why do I love them (and therefore why should you)?
- Detox Food — Beets are nutritionally powerful in their detox abilities. They help thin the bile from the gallbladder to move toxins through and out of the body. If you have a tan-colored stool, you need to eat some beets because the tan color means your bile is too thick.
- Natural Source of Nutrients — Beets are packed with essential nutrients like Vitamin C and B, Manganese, Potassium, and Fiber.
- Cardio~ Beets support blood pressure levels and the cardiovascular system.
- Anti-inflammatory Food Source — Phytonutrients in beets help decrease inflammation throughout the body, which takes pressure off the joints, organs, and all affected areas.
- Easy Food Preparation — Beets are super easy to prepare (see below!).
- It’s Tasty! — Beets have an earthy and sweet taste that goes well on a salad, as a side with a white fish or poultry, or as a stand-alone topped with some lime and balsamic vinegar.
Also, beet leaves have an incredible amount of nutrients (if not more than the beets themselves), so don’t let those go to waste! Toss them in a smoothie or salad for some superfood support.
Important Reminder: if you eat beets for the first time ever or in a while, your poop will be dark/red. Don’t be alarmed
To prepare beets:
- Buy organic beets (red or yellow/orange).
- Slice off top and bottom of beet.
- Chop/Cube like you do a potato.
- Boil about 2 inches of water in a big pot.
- Place steamer in the pot.
- Steam beets for about 15-20 min, until soft.
- Place beets on a baking sheet (no foil) with coconut oil + spices (salt, pepper, or rosemary)
- Stir up every 10 min or so.
- Bake for 30-35 min, or until soft.
- Spiralize beets raw for a salad or side dish OR
- Chop raw beets, and place in a food processor to make finely chopped or minced for a salad or side dish
Gluten-Free | Paleo | Vegan | Pescetarian | Dairy-Free
Enjoy beets a few times a week for added health benefits! Happy nomming!