What to Bring for Food on a Plane
Food at the airport — what comes to your brain when you think about this topic? While I am super grateful when there are healthier options. I really just think it is easier to pack my own foods. My mom thinks I’m a little crazy, but whatevs. Preparing my own food pack or snack for an airplane ride in a trendy lunch bag is certainly cheaper. I know what ingredients are used in my food, and I can continue my people-watching escapade uninterrupted without having to scrounge around the airport terminal for a meal. But to each her own.
Easy Steps for DIY Airplane Food Snack – Foods On-The-Go
If you want an alternative to the beloved airport food, follow the below steps and suggestions.
- Plan your adventure.
- Plan what kind of food you will need to pack— snack? breakfast? lunch? dinner?
- Pack foods that are easily edible or package well.
- BPA-free plastic and glass containers come in various sizes. Easy travel-buddies!
- Carry food in a small, reusable lunch bag to keep everything fresh and free of bruises.
- Toss in a small ice pack to keep foods chilled (you can get these at most grocery or kitchen stores)
- Make everyone else in the airport jealous of your healthy and free(ish) foods.
- Then, offer to share with them, so they can be healthy, too.
Healthy Travel Food Suggestions — Your Next Airplane Food Snack!
Food options: GOAL —> easy to bite or pop food in your mouth when on the move
- Fruit: apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, pears, berries, cherries, watermelon
- Veggies: raw and pre-sliced carrots, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower
- Homemade container of hummus or almond butter (scoop 2 tbs in one of those containers we mentioned above)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Avocado (all you need is a fork to cut the avocado in half and a spoon to scoop out the inside)
- Pre-made coconut wrap with almond butter + banana
- Organic/ Free-range turkey or chicken breast wrapped with raw cheese slices
- Homemade trail mix
- Homemade bars
- Store-bought bars (these are my favourite brands when in a pinch): Amazing Grass Green Superfood, Lara Bars, Go Raw, Organic Food Bar Active Greens